Friday, January 2, 2009

Blah, blah, blah

So, I'm sitting here feeling a little down (angry), and Sex and the City is on. I didn't have HBO when the series originally ran, so I've only seen the syndicated versions.

Tonight's episode is entitled "My Motherboard, My Self". Carrie's computer crashes and everyone tells her how she should've been backing things up (on a zip drive) all along. She seems to have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and resists having to learn about it at first (a couple of friends have been trying to explain this concept to me this past week).

The other part of the episode is about Miranda's mother suddenly passing away. I tend to lose it watching anyone deal with the loss of a parent. I immediately go back to my father (but I just can't go into that right now). What I did see were the different ways friends try to comfort one another. Then Carrie's narration at the end of the funeral was exactly what I needed to hear right now:

"There is the kind of support you ask for, and the kind of support you don't ask for, and then there's the kind that just shows up."

(here's a link. it's a bit long, but the narration is at the end).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-NifGaTEng

***********************************

Who thinks the people they hold dear to them will ever not be a part of their lives? If we thought that way, we'd never bother investing ourselves in friendships. I mean, why bother? Right?

What I choose to focus on right now are the wonderful, loving and supportive people who ARE in my life, all of whom I am so blessed to have! These are the people who give me support when I've asked, when I haven't or, they've just showed up! I truly thank and appreciate you all for being there!

Now... just need to get (and learn how to use) a zip drive!

No comments: